Thursday

97

12.14.06

[G] [D] [D7] [E] [E]
[G] [D] [D7] [E] [E]
[A] [A] [E] [E]
[A] [F] [G] [G]

A sudden stop:

jr.
Wait wait wait, you’re all flat.

J.R.
Oh. Excuse me.

jr.
Here’s my E. [E]

J.R.
Sounds about right to me.

jr.
[Em]
I guess it’ll have to do.

J.R.
Well, just give me a minute here, I’ll fix things up.

jr.
[Am]
Losing your hearing in your old age?

J.R.
Could you stop for a second please? I can’t hear myself.

jr.
You must be going tone deaf.

J.R.
Har har. [E] There, is that better?

jr.
No.

J.R.
Good enough for me.

jr.
[G]
Didn’t your friends always use to accuse you of being out of tune?

J.R.
[G7]
No more than anyone else. Why?

jr.
[C]
I guess I remember them teasing you for being out of tune all the time.

J.R.
[C]
Like when you were a kid?

jr.
[G]
Yeah. When you were at practice.

J.R.
Hold on, I never took you to practice with me.

jr.
Sure you did. You and all the other folkies, I used to play with their kids.

J.R.
Well I never called them “folkies”…

jr.
That’s what you were, weren’t you?

J.R.
I hate the word “folkie.” Even more than I hate “gig” or “riff.”

jr.
What about “woodshed”?

J.R.
[G]
I never really heard that one a lot.

jr.
I hate that word. “Shedding.” [G7] “Gig” too. I hate “gig.”

[C] [C] [G]

jr.
You’re out of tune again.

J.R.
Would you knock it off?

jr.
How old is that guitar?

J.R.
None of your damn business.

jr.
No need to get snarky, Jesus.

J.R.
What did you just say to me?
That’s what I thought…
You haven’ seen “snarky”.
Leopold Mozart. He was “snarky”.

jr.
Who’s Leopold Mozart?

J.R.
Who do you think?

jr.
I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking you.

J.R.
Mozart’s father. Leopold Mozart was Mozart’s father.

jr.
Why was he snarky?

J.R.
I don’t know. He had a big chip on his shoulder. [E] The point is, I am nowhere near as “snarky” as he was. All those music dads were assholes. Beethoven’s dad made him go deaf. I think you were pretty lucky with me.

jr.
Ok. I get it. You’re not Mozart’s father.

J.R.
Are you my son?

jr.
I don’t know, am I?

J.R.
‘Cause if you are then you’re damn sure I ain’t Mozart’s father.

[Em]

J.R.
I’m just teasing.

[E]

J.R.
I love you.

jr.
I love you too, dad.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.