Monday

63

11.10.06

A RANDOM AUDIENCE MEMBER is selected.

A FIGURE in a NICE SUIT and WHITE COTTON GLOVES enters, producing and carefully unfolding a nice piece of paper, which he or she reads aloud while standing behind the seated AUDIENCE MEMBER.

FIGURE
The contents of [AUDIENCE MEMBER’S] mind to date. Abridged.
I’m cold. I’m scared. I’m screaming. Why? Why? Why? I’m hungry. Feed me. I’m sleepy. Don’t pick me up. I’m hungry. I’m uncomfortable. Why? Everything irritates me. Who are these people always smiling at me? I like these people. Feed me. Why? I’m scared. I’m hungry. I can stand. I can walk. I can talk. Why? I’m sleepy. Feed me. I now understand humiliation. Why? I can read. I am attracted to that person. Why? I am attracted to that other person. Why not? I can run. I like hugs. I can paint using my fingers. I can draw with a pencil. Feed me. I can draw with a pen. Why? Bugs are gross, but oddly appealing. Worms live under the ground. I can write in cursive. I will die some day. Why? Worms will eat me after I am dead. Why? Sex. Toys no longer give me the same solace they used to. I like music. Sex. Some day everyone and everything I know will die. I am sad. Why? Sex. I am in love with that person. Sex. Feed me. Sex. That person broke my heart. Sex. Why? Sex. The world is an enormous place. Nature is cruel. Nature is inherently good. The universe is larger than I can possible comprehend. Sex. Math is an infinite abstract. I am in love with that other person. That person is in love with me. Why? Sex. Feed me. Friends are lovers that I am not physically attracted to. Sex. Friends are lovers who I do not have physical relations with. Work is not as fun as free time. Work is more fun than I had expected. I can always improve. Sex. I am a failure. Feed me. I am glum. Sex. Sex. Sex. I feel better about myself every day. Sex. The world is inherently good. Sex. Art is wonderful. Sex. I enjoy all different kinds of art. Sex. Feed me. I feel like going to a play. Sex. That play moved me in some way. Why? I will go to other plays. Some plays do not move me as much. Why? I will go to a play tonight. I am at a play. This does not seem like any play I have been to. I hope I am asked to participate. Why is this person reading from this sheet of paper? Why are they wearing white gloves? Do they really think that they are reading my mind? These statements are rather general. They could happen to anybody. Sex. This person is saying things that were in the back of my mind. How did they know that? Sex. I’m bored. Sex. I hope this is over soon. … Is it over? …no, damn it isn’t… Is it done now? … Sex….shit.

The FIGURE in a NICE SUIT and WHITE COTTON GLOVES carefully folds the piece of paper and hands it to the AUDIENCE MEMBER. The paper is blank. The FIGURE begins to applaud the AUDIENCE MEMBER for their bravery.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.