Monday

GRAD SCHOOL NEWS

ALAS!

I was not accepted into Brown's Literary Arts graduate program. This was to be expected. I think I would have to be some sort of playwriting savant in order to get into a program like Brown right after undergrad. The only sad part to this whole story is that I won't get to have two easy years of writing and teaching anytime soon. I didn't have my hopes up to get accepted, but if I had one flight of fancy it was over the possibility of TAing a playwright's workshop for a bunch of talented undergrads. Perhaps this is a sign from the cosmics that I'm not quite ripe yet. Or perhaps, instead, graduate school is not right for me, and I should just go out there and put work up somehow on my own. In any case this short stack chips on my side of the poker table isn't getting me down.

HUZZAH!

There's a whole world of oppertunity open to me now. I have the energy and the ardor to go out there and make a mark on the world, and I never really needed a graduate program to make that happened. Now is my chance to be young, green, naive and brave, and I'm going enter a prolific period of writing no matter where I end up. All I need is a home, a place filled with friends and collaborators who want to change the world. Besides, I learn best when I do it myself.

Now if I could just find a job...

2 comments:

fundalentilist her said...

Stevo...my dearest. I'm so sorry. I know you have the soul to recover quickly (maybe holding just a touch of resentment in your closet somewhere), permanently, and with a new swing of creative enlightenment. Maybe this was the best thing for you. Now you have even fewer boundaries. Regardless and needless to say, I think you're a fabulous playwright. If I was the president, I would let you stay at the white house for free all the time and you could write about whatever, when-ever.

Chris said...

I didn't get into grad school the first time either. Live it up a little and then try again. You'll be glad for the time off...

PS - I consider you a playwriting savant.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.