Saturday

Me & You & Everyone We Know

How about it? The ultimate break-up movie.
I recently told someone a fib, and said that I had seen the film, when in fact I hadn't. I don't know why I lied, I never do (unless I'm talking to faculty.) I felt bad, because my lie had extended to going online and finding a quote off of IMDb. So, to atone for my venial, bizarre and inexplicable sin, I went out and bought a movie I knew nothing about.
Watching it with my parents was a mildly bad idea...
I really liked it, though. It was kind of beautiful through it's mundane aspects. All these strange, bizarre and inexplicable moments, colorful and playful, magical but real, made me feel like a helium balloon expanded in my chest. In other words, quite an uplifting picture.

I don't understand why uplifting art is so rare these days. Who died and made cynicism king? This is, of course, coming from a man whose only play ever to be performed involved killing off every character by the curtain call, but let's just ignore my moderate hypocracy for a stint, shall we?

Why so cynical? Why does every good love story have to have a sad ending? Annie Hall, Harold and Maude, Love Story, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. All tragic. What gives?

I put Me & You & Everyone We Know in the same category I would put Punch Drunk Love or any of Wes Anderson's first three movies. All tone. Sad, but cathartic. Just...way cool.

Thank you, Me & You & Everyone We Know. Thanks for cheering me up. And thank you too, person that I lied to regarding whether or not I saw Me & You & Everyone I know. My dishonesty to you and the subsequent guilt I felt for lying led to one of the luckiest blind movie buying experiences I have ever had. Perhaps some day you and I will have to watch it together, and I can confess the whole thing in person. I hope you'll think it's a funny story.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.